Saturday, November 10, 2012

Featured Teacher: Aaron Toler



            1. What is your most memorable field trip experience?

My most memorable field trip was taking my students to the Science Museum in my city along with the Science teacher. The students were able to see the science they had been learning about and teach me about it. It was fun to be a student and allow the students to be the teacher!

         2. What is something you have learned from your time on Teachers Pay Teachers?

I have learned that teachers are some of the most creative people around. Teachers love to share what they make with each other. I have learned that teachers love to teach

         3. What book inspired you as a student?

"To Kill a Mockingbird." I still quote this book to my students. There are so many valuable life lessons in it.

4. What is something you would like to see in the future, for education?

I would like to see actual teachers more involved in the legislation of schools and curriculum rather than government officials who have not been in the classroom.

         5. What is something fun about you that teachers don't know about you?

I write songs about the material I am covering in class and make music videos for them to help them learn the topic a little better.

Here is one....


         6. What is an achievement, in education or otherwise, that you have accomplished?

This year I became a National Board Certified Teacher in Adolescent and Young Adult Social Studies and History. This was one of the most rigorous and rewarding processes I have ever been through. I spent hours studying and analyzing student work and preparing lessons that would challenge my students. The entire process of becoming certified took close to 3 years and nothing in my teaching career has challenged me as much as this process.

         7. What was your first 'Free' item that you posted up on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you choose that?

The first free item I posted was a Wordsearch I made over the French and Indian War. I was absent from school one day because of illness and needed a quick filler for the substitute so I used this. There isn't a whole lot to it but as I have figured out over the years sometimes the best classroom management is keeping students busy.


8. What was your first 'Paid' item that you posted up on Teachers Pay Teachers? What made you choose that?        

The first paid item I posted was "Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Review Game." I had just used it in my classroom for the first time and my students absolutely loved it! They loved the sound effects and were actively engaged in the lesson throughout the class. So I put it on TpT without a whole lot of expectations and it has become one of my best sellers! I still use it in my class and am thrilled that many other teachers are using it as well.




9.  Your favorite teaching quote is...   

"Speak little. Do much."

10. What is your 'Go To' time filler?          
                                                                
In the classroom when I want to fill some time I have my students do "Focused Free Writes." They write for 3 minutes without stopping about whatever topic I choose. I then have students share their writing with others around them. They compare and talk about their writing and then write again for another minute. It is a great activity to make sure your students are understanding the material you are covering in class and it only takes about 5-10 minutes. You can spend as much time discussing their writing as you like. Anytime I need to fill time I have my students write and discuss because learning always takes place in these situations and it gives them an excuse to talk to each other and not get in trouble  which they love!

 by 

Aaron Toler



"3 Week Revolutionary War Unit:

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/3-Week-Unit-Revolutionary-War-Lesson-Plans

Declaration of Independence Breakup Letter:

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Declaration-of-Independence-Breakup-LetterNotesWorksheet-Lesson-Plan

50 American History Lessons for $30
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/End-of-the-Year-Sale-130-of-American-History-Lessons-for-30

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...